Thursday, April 12, 2007

Is Vogue in vogue?

When going to the local news stand you will see dozens of glossy magazines filled with articles named like: 'How to lose those extra pounds in 2 weeks', 'The secret to looking great!', 'How to make every man fall for you!' or 'What to be seen with this summer!' etc. It never stops. Hardly any of these magazines come with a new innovative idea for an article. Still, most woman fall for the promises they make and believe that this month the magazine might just have found a true anwser to all her problems and the solution to her desires...

If that was so, wouldn't we all be a size 2, have the sexiest boyfriend and live a life filled with luxury en happiness by now?

I stopped buying these magazines 2 years ago. I think that by buying these magazines, following their advice and then failing to reach the unobtainable goals we set for ourselves, we woman are bringing ourselves down. These magazines are hardly doing any good for our self-esteem. Woman are becoming much too obsessed about weight and the exterior of things.
Of course, it is important to look good and feel great about yourself, but I think most of us are taking this a step too far. Plus, you would be amazed if you add up the costs of each magazine you nonchalantly buy each month.

Instead, every month, I now buy 1 single magazine. The british Vogue. I find that in the Vogue it is not all about losing weight and striving towards something that for most woman is unobtainable. In each issue you will find the latest fashions, truly helpful advice and amusing, witty articles on subjects that will appeal to any well-rounded modern woman.

A month ago, I also picked up the American Vogue, and found myself to be deeply dissapointed. I don't think that the American Vogue is of the same quality as the British. The American version is very much leaning on the world of celebrity's and tends to be somewhat like all the other glossy-magazines out there. Articles aren't written as well as in the British, the whole look, feel and experience of the American Vogue is much more shallow. And I, as an aspiring fashion-designer find it less inpiring.

The French Vogue is of good quality though. I'm not very fond of the advertisements they use but the photoshoots are great! However, I did miss the good articles, It often only has 2 read-worthy articles...the rest are only half a page long.

Then there is the Italian Vogue. I adore their photoshoots, very original, very inspiring. It is like they live in their own little world of fashion. I get the feeling that everything is looked upon from a different perspective by the Italiens. Also, the Italian Vogue contains good advertisements, they tend to pick the shots that other magazines don't take. How good their photoshoots and advertisements may be though, they lack articles.

And then, an other popular Vogue is the British one. This is my personal favorite. In each issue you will find the latest fashions, truly helpful advice and amusing, witty articles on subjects that will appeal to any well-rounded modern woman. It is a perfectly balanced magazine with depth. But don't now think of Vogue as being too serious! We remain woman and we all love to gossip and talk about not-so-important-things from time to time and lets be honest, since when was fashion about not looking at the appearance of things..? Well, never. But still, we don't all want to become mindless sheep that follow the crowd without thinking for ourselves, do we?
My conclusion is that the British Vogue keeps things fun and furfills our needs fashion-wise by the great fotoshoots and handy fashion/beauty advice but also informs and inspires us on intellectual aspect by amusing, witty articles that will appeal to any well-rounded modern woman.


(First issue of Vogue, September 1916)


(Latest issue of Vogue, April 2007)

1 comment:

J. Alex said...

I live in the US, and I stopped reading the American Vogue three years ago. I got tired of seeing movie stars and NOT models on the cover. The articles are trite and the ads too many.

For my fashion fix, I read various blogs, along with French and British fashion mags. If you don't live in New York City (I don't), it's so hard to stay posh and stylish in the US. Thankfully I travel overseas a lot and I keep up on the NYC trends.

I really like this blog and I'm going to bookmark it!